In a recent UK survey, employees were asked to list what the most irritating habits of their co-workers were, while some of the findings might surprise you, are there any of them that you are guilty of?
In reverse order…
10. Wearing the same clothes – what does this say to your bosses? could you be giving the impression that you don’t care about your appearance?
9. Cooking smelly foods – be mindful of what you bring in to the office to microwave, fish and eggs not being the best choice for lunch!
8. Smelling of cigarettes – if you do smoke – why not pop a mint in after having a cigarette break.
7. Talking loudly on the phone – you could take calls in a meeting room or corridor, or lower your voice if you need to stay at your desk.
6. Staying in the toilet too long – don’t be seen a time waster, only go to the loo when you really need too!
5. Interrupting when people are speaking – implement the ’10 second rule’, listen and wait before you speak.
4. Messy desks – keep your work area clutter-free – get a desk organiser, filing tray…anything that helps you get organised.
3. Not washing up – don’t expect somebody else to do it for you, it should go without saying that you do your own washing up.
2. Ignoring emails – this is unprofessional, if you’re overwhelmed by the amount of emails you receive, allocate a particular time each day to deal with your inbox instead of dipping in and out and not actually achieving anything.
1. Offensive body odour – top of the list and this is a difficult one to deal with, as you might not notice it yourself, but wearing clean clothes and showering daily will help.
Can you think of any other annoying habits that weren’t listed, we’d love to hear them, why not comment below?
If you need any HR advice or guidance, please get in touch:+44 203 538 5311 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.hrrevolution.co.uk where our expert CIPD HR professionals are waiting to help you with any questions you may have.
HR Revolution; supporting you, your employees AND your business.