On my way into work this morning, I noticed a big festive recruitment drive by Tesco – there is no getting away from it now Christmas is coming! Talking of Tesco, here are a few festive facts from them which amazed me – did you know they will sell 170,000 turkeys, 140,000 jars of cranberry sauce and over 400,000 packs of Brussels sprouts! So safe to say they will be recruiting a lot of people over this period, so I thought it would be fun to have a list of 10 things never to say or do in an interview, just in case you fancy getting a seasonal job…. not based on personal experience I might add…
Seriously these things do happen and I’m sure they make the decision not to employ a very easy one!!!
- Don’t ever answer a call or text in an interview, make sure your phone is switched off and in your bag.
- Never swear in an interview, you must remain professional at all times.
- Ask for a lift home after the interview.
- Smell your armpits on the way into the interview, or indeed during or after.
- Tell the interviewer you were fired for beating up your last boss!! not sure this reflects too well on your character.
- When one applicant was offered food before the interview he declined, saying that he didn’t want to line his stomach with grease before going out drinking.
- A candidate for an accounting position said she was a “people person,” not a “numbers person.”
- Applicant took out a hair brush and brushed her hair mid-interview.
- Being late. I think its safe to say your interviewer will not be impressed, whatever excuse you may come up with, punctuality is key.
- Ask what is the annual leave and sickness policy is, this will set alarm bells ringing for the interviewer.
I have to say, numbers 3 and 4 are my personal favourites and actually made me laugh out loud picturing it happening!
Remember, the job market is very competitive these days, so don’t ruin your prospects with an ill-chosen comment.
Download our free first impressions guide and be prepared.