Yesterday was World Chocolate Day!!! Sadly in the HR Rev offices we don’t need any excuse at all to indulge our sweet tooth!, once a packet of any kind of chocolate is opened it’s demolished within minutes…
But it’s good to know that chocolate actually has a number of surprising health benefits, from helping to lower your blood pressure to kicking your cough… in moderation of course…
- It can lower your blood pressure – A recent study found that chocolate and cocoa products are flavanol rich which have a significant effect in lowering blood pressure in the short term and the flavanols found in cocoa beans aid the production of nitric oxide, which stimulates blood vessels to dilate.
- It’s good for your bones – A small bar of white chocolate (approx 50g) contains one sixth of the recommended daily allowance of calcium.
- Dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants – These are the disease fighting flavenoids, which can also be found in red wine and many fruit and veg.
- It can help with PMS – one for the boys to consider!! Chocolate releases calming endorphins that reduce anxiety and is high in magnesium which lifts moods and reduces water retention.
- It can help your cough – Remember this next time you get a tickly cough, one of the chocolate components theobromin has been found to reduce the activity of the vagus nerve, the part of the brain that triggers coughing fits.
No more feeling guilty, chocolate is good for you, I think it should be World Chocolate Day everyday… happy Friday everyone.