This post follows on so well from a previous blog about the way Adults are behaving like kids at work so when I read this from CIPD about bullying at work I had to share it.
When you think of bullying you think of it being a school thing, well isn’t it?? Looking at the below quiz I would say not!!
I urge you to take this test, it takes 2 minutes, but be honest don’t answer what you think you should do but when in a bad or stressed mood what you really do!
1. You need to call a team meeting but it’s nearly 5pm and some staff have children. Do you?
A Tell parents they don’t have to go but it would be a good idea if they did attend
B Expect everyone to turn up. Their childcare needs are not your concern
C Promise to brief those who can’t attend the following day
2. You’ve made a politically incorrect joke in the office that was taken badly. Do you?
A Not worry about it as everyone knows what you’re like
B Apologise immediately for any offence caused
C Do nothing. People shouldn’t bring their emotions to work
3. You hear a piece of juicy gossip about a colleague’s personal life. Do you?
A Share it with other colleagues. You could all do with a laugh
B Point out to the gossip that their behaviour is not acceptable
C Keep it to yourself – but do nothing about it
4. You’ve given a piece of work to someone but you’re not happy with progress. Do you?
A Sit them down to talk about how it’s going and then take appropriate action
B Take it away and give it to someone else
C Leave it with them but monitor their progress 3-4 times a day
5. Your colleague is already stressed but you really need their help to meet a deadline. Do you?
A Give them the work to do. You’re stressed too
B Enlist their help but promise them a day off in exchange
C Ask for an extension or see if someone else can help
6. You find a colleague annoying. Do you?
A Take time to talk to them about what would make the relationship easier
B Demand they stop doing whatever is irritating you
C Try to avoid them as much as possible
Now add up your score and check your answers below:
1 A (2 points); B (3); C (1)
2 A (2); B (1); C (3)
3 A (3); B (1); C (2)
4 A (1); B (3); C (2)
5 A (3); B (2); C (1)
6 A (1); B (3); C (2)